Who is a Software Developer? Concept of Software Development & Full details you should know about the Programmer
Are you interested in software development? Want to know the details about the development field? Let’s have an idea.
What is Software Development?
We can think of software development as a form of technological art which involves a lot of imagination & knowledge. According to IBM Research: “Software development refers to a set of computer science activities dedicated to the process of creating, designing, deploying and supporting software.”. As we know, software is a set of instructions which makes the computer to do a specific task.
What are the different processes involved in software development?
- Select a methodology: at this step a road map of the project is created.
- Requirement Analysis: Collect & document what is actually required by users and other stakeholders
- Design the solutions to the problems identified in requirement analysis, decide process models etc
- Write coding in an appropriate programming language
- Test the software
- Deploy the software : to use
- Migrate data from existing applications or data sources
- Maintenance and support
What are the tasks of a software developer?
The main task of a software developer is closely related to writing code. But he has to be involved in the overall life cycle of software development starting from analysis to deployment.
Key skills required to become a software developer :
Some important technical skills you should have as a developer or if you are planning to become a good developer as listed below.
- Data structures and algorithms : You need to have thorough knowledge about different data structures such as arrays, lists, linked lists, queues , stacks etc. The storage structures and different operations of these structures need to be known. Different kinds of algorithms are also used.
- Programming Languages: In order to become a good programmer you must have command on at least one programming language in depth. Your choice of programming language depends on your area of interest. Some of the most popular languages are listed below.
- Databases: Databases are used for organized storage of data. Knowledge of different database operations such as create, read, update, delete (CRUD), combining data from multiple tables using join, use aggregate functions, create procedures and subqueries etc are essential. Knowledge of any one DBMS such as MySql, Oracle, MongoDB etc is required.
- IDEs: Working knowledge of any of the IDE such as Netbeans, Eclipse, Visual Studio Code is an advantage
- Networking basics: The working knowledge on client-server architecture is required. Today in most of the application like web-based, online games, business automation or cloud computing client-server architecture is used. So we can not deny this fact that fundamentals and basics of networking are also an essential skill for the developer before they enter into programming.
- Basics of Testing: Knowledge of unit testing, integration testing, system testing etc are essential skills
- SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle): Knowledge of SDLC phases is required. What are the processes in each stage need to be understood.
Along with these technical skills, a developer should also have the following soft skills too :
- Communication skill
- Problem solving skill
- Time management
Different Job Titles/Roles
As a beginner, we will be starting as a Junior Software Developer / Software Developer Trainee. There is a long way to go as listed below.
- Junior Software Developer
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer / Senior Software Developer
- Technical Lead / Team Lead
- Project Manager
- Software Architect
- Chief Architect