The conceptual framework of the Communication Skill Development program of IPSR IT Finishing School
The art of communication is the language of leadership. One can accomplish nothing significant in life lest he have a good proficiency in effective communication. Hence a good communication is the key to personal and career success. It is interesting however that, while conversing with many aspirants in the placement drives conducted by IT companies, majority of successful candidate rated that it’s the technical aptitude and their proficiency in communication that has contributed to their success. It is with this vision that IPSR, which is committed to the responsibility of preparing prospective workforce suitable for IT industry, have designed Communication Skill Development (CSD) program. Here is an excerpt on the curriculum of CSD program provided by IPSR which a part of IT Finishing School (ITFS) module.
How CSD program contribute to general improvement of communication?
- Develop the ability to use the English language effectively
- Promotes Interpersonal communication skills
- Helps to read and listen critically
- Enables to write with thoughtfulness, clarity, coherence, and persuasiveness
- Intercultural communication and the problems related to it.
- Develop Competence in comprehending language.
How does CSD add to career development?
- Educates on career development theories and techniques
- Discuss the role of multicultural issues in career development
- Application of career counseling, approaches
- Team dynamic goals, leadership roles, types of exercises, assessment feedback
- Make new contacts, gain insight and opportunity, take the next step
How do CSD program improve Interpersonal Skills?
- Strengthens verbal communication – what we say and how we say it.
- Tips on negotiation – working with others to find a mutually agreeable outcome.
- Problem solving – working with others to identify, define and solve problems.
- Decision making – exploring and analyzing options to make sound decisions.
- Assertiveness – communicating our values, ideas, beliefs, opinions, needs and wants freely
- Reinforces nonverbal communication – what we communicate without words
- Fortifies listening skills – how we interpret both the verbal and nonverbal messages sent by others.
How CSD foster problem solving and critical thinking ability?
- Effectively use various types of reasoning (inductive, deductive, etc.) as appropriate to the situation
- Use systems thinking
- Analyze how parts of a whole interact with each other to produce overall outcomes in complex systems
- Make judgments and decisions effectively analyze and evaluate evidence, arguments, claims and beliefs
- Analyze and evaluate major alternative points of view
- Synthesize and make connections between information and argument, interpret information and draw conclusions based on the best analysis
- Reflect critically on learning experiences and processes
- Solve Problems
- Solve different kinds of non-familiar problems in both conventional and innovative ways
- Identify and ask significant questions that clarify various points of view and lead to better solutions
How CSD strengthen effective report writing and presentation skills
- Introduction, definition, types of reports, steps to follow for a good and effective report, structure of a report, conclusion, practical exercise contents preparing for presentation
- Purpose and audience – the groundwork coping with stage fright organizing Speech or Presentation
- Structure of your speech
- Planning five stages of every winning presentation- Opening, Preview, Body, Review, Closing and Organizing your content
- Structuring presentation to keep their interest delivering speech with confidence and style
- Delivering with Impact
- Using voice-adjust speed
- Utilizing examples, stories, quotations and analogies
- Presentation structure
- Linking and rhetorical questions
- Making a compelling first impression
- Dealing with silence
- Using our voice for influence and interest
- Words: choice and effect
- Making a lasting impression
- Avoiding the critical mistakes
- Learn how to handle questions
- Ways of answering avoidance
- How to recover when mind goes blank and get back on track
- Using powerful visuals
- Types of illustration/graphics
- Get empowered by energizing your writing style
- Grammar matters
- Analysis of sample reports final presentations & finishing touches
- Emotional awareness, accurate self-assessment
- Self-confidence, self-regulation & self-control,